Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sydney!

It turns out I unintentionally lied about my travel plans for the 2 weeks I previously spoke of. I did go to Sydney for a few days and it was an incredible trip. However, my intention was to go straight to Uluru from Sydney, which as it turns out, would have cost me an arm and a leg. Which basically means that I have to come back to Australia to do everything that I did not get to do this time around.

So Sydney. It very much reminded me of a city from America, New York or Chicago, one of the large ones with millions of people. I did however enjoy how most of the time we spent there was on the shore. Basically I left Townsville thinking I wouldn't spend anytime on the beach in Sydney because it is getting to be rather cold there. But that couldn't be further from the truth. Me and my two mates spent at least 1 full day on the harbour taking heaps of photos of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House.

Why so many pictures of the Opera house? Well turns out there was a light show on the Opera house. Yes I did say ON. just across the harbour was a projector on top of a building that was shining abstract art onto the domes of the Opera House. Between my friends and me, we have a collection of at least 120 pictures just of that structure. Other than that we walked around Sydney and enjoyed the views and the city itself. One highlight of the trip was Kangaroo, Crocodile and Emu pizzas for dinner on our second night there. I also tried my first Thai food the first night there for supper. All of us visiting sort of wish that we would have studied abroad in Sydney. There was just so much to do in such a concentrated area. But I suppose Townsville has its perks.

We also made it over to Manly Beach, where there were some brave souls catching some cold surf. I wanted to try surfing while I was there, but there was gloomy weather while we were there and it was cold, so I didn't go through with it. Had I made previous arrangements to do so, I definitely would have come back an Aussie surfer! Our last day/night in Sydney we spent walking from Coogee to Bondi beach. Dinner with some of my mates' friends and then staying with them in their awesome 8 person house near Coogee beach. It was a waterfilled weekend to say the least and worth every penny I spent (slash didn't spend) there.

I don't know if they'll ever read this blog, but a special thanks to Laurent and Jenny for allowing your unplanned guest stay with you. And to Doug Farquhar for breaking the ice and getting the in for me.

I suppose my last trip in Australia involves going to the Great Barrier Reef. I intend to go diving this weekend on Maggie Island this weekend and then up to Cairns to visit a friend and dive the reefs up in that area. We will see though. I don't want to lead anyone on (including myself) and then have plans fall through.

No comments:

Post a Comment